WHAT IS COMMON CORE EDUCATION?
The Common Core Education or Common Core State Standards are a set of universal academic standards for mathematics and English language arts from kindergarten to grade 12.
The Council of Chief State School Officers (CCSSO) and the Asia Society Partnership for Global Learning collaborated to establish global competence and the knowledge, skills, and abilities that students must possess to be internationally competent.
WHERE DID THE IDEA OF COMMON CORE EDUCATION COME INTO BEING?
In the United States of America, the Common Core State Standards were developed. It included a new set of educational standards that was approved by 43 states. The standards were designed to increase academic competition in the US and train students for college and employment. They serve as standards for what students from kindergarten through their final year of high school should understand and be able to perform in math and language arts.
Utilizing the best principles from abroad, mostly from Germany and Scotland, the U.S. educational system was designed. But once the USA established the best educational system in the world, it ceased turning to other countries for inspiration.
Other countries, particularly those in Asia, on the other hand, have developed superior pre-collegiate education systems through a constant search for the best practices in student education.
WHAT STANDARDS ARE INCLUDED IN COMMON CORE EDUCATION?
There are grade-specific standards for grades K–12 in the English language arts and math standards. Many of the goals are included in the Common Core for each grade level, but there are certain common elements.
English language arts standards aim to use evidence to support arguments. Students will create more viewpoints and less personal narratives. Additionally, they will be required to read more nonfiction. The math standards concentrate on fewer but deeper ideas.
It’s crucial to remember that both sets of standards incorporate multimedia and the sensible and strategic use of technology following technological advancements.
The Core Standards Initiative’s key characteristics are as follows:
- Simple to learn and consistent.
- Boost existing requirements for individual states.
- Are comparable to standards in other high-performing countries.
- meet the standards that are already set for both the workplace and education.
- include in-depth information and knowledge implementation.
- Are evidence-based to facilitate evaluation.
WHAT IS THE GOAL OF COMMON CORE EDUCATION?
The common core education standards outline the necessary English language arts and mathematics skills and knowledge. Teachers must effectively teach all students these standards. Why?
That is because the students can qualify to perform academically in the:
- College-entry courses
- Professional training programs
The objective is to increase the consistency of exposure to information and learning opportunities through curriculum, teaching, and teacher training, among other educational resources for students. Common Core Education strives to give all students, regardless of their zip code, an equal opportunity for a top-notch education that will equip them for college or the workplace.
WHAT ARE THE DIFFERENT BENEFITS OF COMMON CORE EDUCATION?
Many academics have praised the Common Core Education Standards for providing considerable benefits to children. The National PTA website states that parents should hold educators to a core set of standards in a similar way to how they hold physicians and dentists accountable for their children.
The common core education standards provide consistency guaranteeing that all students, regardless of their geography, socioeconomic status, or racial background, receive the same high-quality education.
Let me tell you how it benefits everyone.
1. BENEFITS OF COMMON CORE EDUCATION FOR STUDENTS
Students that use common core standards have the following advantages:
- Make the academic transition for students transferring from one state to another easier.
- Assist students in realization of what they need to accomplish academically.
- Gives students the information and abilities they need for both college and the job market.
2. BENEFITS OF COMMON CORE EDUCATION FOR PARENTS
The standards also benefit parents in the following ways:
- Bridge the communication gap between teachers and parents.
- Give parents realistic goals they can work with their children to achieve.
- Assure parents that their children receive the same level of education regardless of where they live.
3. BENEFITS OF COMMON CORE EDUCATION FOR TEACHERS
Common core standards are beneficial to teachers as well. These benefits consist of:
- Encourage the creation of curricula that encourages higher-order thinking.
- Allow for improved professional growth and teamwork.
- Give instructors additional time so they may dig a bit deeper into subjects.
WHAT CHALLENGES THAT COMMON CORE EDUCATION FACE?
One of the most challenging difficulties is supporting the new standards, which may be tough to achieve at a time when several school budgets are already stretched low. The other problem will be that implementing the standards would alter many areas of the educational system as we know it now. However, teachers, on the other hand, feel that the basic consistency of the principles will help in collaboration, thus minimizing some of the difficulties.
In the end, I want to say that there have also been numerous hurdles along the way that have stopped countless students, parents, and education systems from reaching their full potential. Common Core Education allows for greater individualization to meet the stated requirements. Thus, it might be the answer to our need of keeping up with the rest of the world when it comes to student performance.